Monday, January 29, 2007

BASECO Kids



Nothing prepared me for this moment.

I knew about poverty in the Philippines. We read about it in the papers everyday, we see small children tapping on our car windows amidst the rain trying to sell their sampaguitas, people demonstrating on the streets to get better wages - everyone feels how hard it is to make ends meet.

But not like this. My heart ached that day I went to Baseco. My photography club volunteered to help, brought items that we thought would be useful and set up a project were we would raise money through the pictures we're going to get during that visit. We were briefed by the volunteers of Project Hope. Those people have such big hearts, giving their time and dedication for these people.

I wondered how I managed to keep my tears from falling that day. I never could imagine how anyone could live like this. The stink seeped through our clothes, kids foraged through left overs in barrels from restaurants. They ate beside dogs and flies. Garbage was everywhere.

And yet, up to this day one thing registers in my mind : their smiles. Baseco, with all its filth and poverty was not enough to make these children lose their happiness and their childhood. Everywhere I looked, all the kids were laughing, smiling, playing. I was taught a lesson that day. Something I will keep for the rest of my life.

I was humbled.










1 comment:

Abi said...

Hi Carla!

We used to do a lot of volunteer work at Baseco. It is definitely heartbreaking and encouraging all at the same time. Heartbreaking to see children existing in such terrible circumstances, but encouraging to see their bright and hopeful faces.

Your pictures captured the hope of Baseco. Thank you so much for sharing...